Electrical Testing & Inspection
All electrical installations deteriorate with age and use. They should therefore be inspected and tested at regular intervals to check whether they are in a satisfactory condition for continued use. Such safety checks are commonly referred to as ‘periodic inspection and testing’.
Periodic inspection and testing should be carried out only by electrically competent persons, such as Straits Electrical. We will check the condition of the electrics against the UK standard for the safety of electrical installations, BS 7671 – Requirements for Electrical Installations (IEE Wiring Regulations).
About the Inspection
The inspection takes into account all the relevant circumstances and checks on:
- The adequacy of earthing and bonding.
- The suitability of the switchgear and controlgear. For example, an old fusebox with a wooden back, cast-iron switches, or a mixture of both will need replacing.
- The serviceability of switches, sockets and lighting fittings. Items that may need replacing include: older round-pin sockets, round light switches, cables with fabric coating hanging from ceiling roses to light fittings, black switches and sockets mounted in skirting boards.
- The type of wiring system and its condition. For example, cables coated in black rubber were phased out in the 1960s. Likewise cables coated in lead or fabric are even older and may well need replacing (modern cables use longer-lasting pvc insulation).
- Sockets that may be used to supply portable electrical equipment for use outdoors, making sure they are protected by a suitable residual current device (RCD).
- The presence of adequate identification and notices.
- The extent of any wear and tear, damage or other deterioration.
- Any changes in the use of the premises that have led to, or may lead to, unsafe conditions.
We will then issue an Electrical Installation Condition Report detailing any observed damage, deterioration, defects, dangerous conditions and any non-compliances with the present-day safety standard that might give rise to danger.
Recommended Frequencies of Inspection
|Type of Installation||Routine Check Intervals||Max. period between Inspections|
|Domestic||NA||10 years or at change of occupancy|
|Commercial||12 months||5 years or at change of occupancy|
|Industrial||12 months||3 years|
|Office||12 months||5 years|
|Shop / Retail||12 months||5 years|
|Residential Accom.||12 months or at change of occupancy||5 years|
If you require an electrical inspection why not get in touch with us today for a FREE, no obligation quotation? Call Liam on 07581 081 237 or click here to contact us via email.
"...I definitely recommend them"
"Very impressed with the re-wire Alex has carried out on our house, neat and tidy job, a very friendly and trustworthy team. I definitely recommend them..."
"...a good price, reliability & good workmanship. "
"As large student portfolio landlords we essentially need three things from a contractor - a good price, reliability and good workmanship. Straits Electrical provide us with all three and are easy to deal with..."
John & Vicki Hope-Robinson
"...a reliable contractor you can trust"
"With my bespoke new build I needed an electrical contractor with innovation! Liam provided me with ideas as well as evaluating my own thoughts and concepts. His team are professional, enthusiastic and work hard to provide an excellent service. This is refreshing in today's market when you need a reliable contractor you can trust. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Straits Electrical..."
"...excellent work done by Liam and his team"
"Excellent work done by Liam and his team at my shop in Bangor. Highly recommended. Many thanks - Y Gist Aur, 118 High Street. Bangor...."
"...top quality work"
"Top quality work! Punctual and professional..."